What is the best affiliate program?
When you are first starting up, choosing the best affiliate program is critical to your success. Many failed because they choose the wrong affiliate program. Some may say choosing your niche is most important. It is not always the case. If you choose the right niche but you choose the wrong affiliate program, you will not make money.
Many people choose to join the famous Amazon Affiliate Program, thinking since Amazon is so popular they would be able to make money. But they found out that it is not so easy. They might be able to make a few dollars each month, but it would be disappointing when they have put in so much effort for just a few bucks.
So, how do you choose the best affiliate program which could make lots of money.
Here are some of the issues that you need to consider.
- Price of product – on a high price product, you should have a higher commission. Don’t recommend products which are too cheap. Otherwise, you will only make a few dollars even though you have sold thousands of items. Also, don’t try to do products which are too expensive where no one can afford to buy them and you have no sale.
- Google Adsense Affiliate program – if you don’t have thousands of visitors everyday, don’t even bother doing it. You might only make few cents a day. Google Adsense give you a few cents per click.
- Commission level – how many percent as commission per product sold the merchant is giving you. Amazon give only 4%-7%. When you sold something at $100, you will only get $4- $7 dollars – not very exciting isn’t it.
- Lifetime commission – some products give lifetime commission. As long as the customer stay and use the product, you will get your commission every month. For example, membership, online casino, share trading account and subscriptions, etc. These affiliate programs are the best programs since it is accumulative and your income will increase gradually. As compare to Amazon, it is only a one time sale if the customer don’t buy through your website again. No one can stop the customer going through to Amazon directly. Wealthy Affiliate has the same commission structure.
- Is the merchant trustworthy – you have to do research to find out. There are some dodgy merchants who don’t pay you the commission, some charge a fee to start an affiliate account. Do they give you report for how much you sell each month?
- Is the merchant too famous – where the brand name is too famous, customer will go directly to the store instead of looking up reviews. You will be wasting your time trying to promote their products.
When choosing your niche you have to think of how much time you want to spend on the website. Some niche are very time consuming, for example news, sports, latest trends and things that need updating all the time. For these niches, your have to keep up with the latest development everyday and also update your website everyday. Are you prepare to do that? It will be a full-time job and not passive income.
There are plenty of niches that you don’t have to update everyday. This website is one of them.
Choosing your niche and choosing an affiliate program is the key to success in affiliate marketing.
How to apply for affiliate programs
Most business has their own website. If you are looking to promote products for certain business. You can search online for their affiliate program. For example, search “BRAND NAME + affiliate”. Then you can apply on their website or send an email.
Before you apply for any affiliate program, make sure you have some content on your website. If you have a brand new website with nothing on it, it is not going to look good on your part. Hence, you will not be successful. Therefore, have a few posts and pages of articles before you apply.
If you are successful in your affiliate application. You can ask them for some advertising materials or banners you can put on your website. Some business only has affiliate links, then you have to design your own banners. Affiliate link is good on text, but it is more attractive to have a few different banners with nice picture and colors.