When people first start learning affiliate marketing, they often waste time on things which are trivial. For example, they will waste hours trying to set up Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics or Google+ Authorship. They will waste their time checking for their site ranking everyday when they have only a couple of pages of contents. They will complaint when their website ranking is not good and feel upset.
Instead they should be doing what is more important for the long term. I now tell you what is more important and what is not.
- a website with lots of good content
- well written paragraphs with subtitles (not just one big chunks of words which are hard to read)
- have images to spice up the content
- content which are well written without spelling and grammatical mistakes
- a website which is pleasing to the eyes
- has at least 30 pages or posts
- good numbers of internal links (links which reference to other pages within the site)
- tested all the internal and external links are working
- included social networking to promote the website
- has good low hanging fruit keywords
- setting up Google Webmaster Tools
- setting up Google Analytics and Google+ Profile
- checking your ranking everyday
- pay too much attention to keywords
- include affiliate links too early at the beginning when there is hardly any traffic
Now I will explain to you why those things are important and those are not.
When your visitors come to your website, first thing they will judge is the look of the website. If it doesn’t look good, some will leave immediately without reading you content. So look is important. The more pages you have, the better your ranking will be and you have more chance of getting visitors.
Low hanging fruit keywords will help you get the initial traffic. Good content will help to engage your visitors and more chance of them coming back to visit again. You need to do the social networking to promote your website, but be sure that you have enough content first. Otherwise your visitors will see a site which is empty and they will never come back again.
Why setting up Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics and Google+ Authorship are not important? These tools are just to help you get your website index and give you statistical of how much traffic you have. At the beginning you don’t have much traffic and therefore there are nothing much to count. Even if you do not set up Webmaster Tools, Google will still index your website regardless – maybe just a few days later. It doesn’t matter when you are building your contents.
In my experience, Google will pick up keywords that you are not evening trying to rank for. So good content is important and do not stress too much on keywords. Also when you don’t have enough traffic, putting in advertisement on your website is pointless.
You don’t need to check your ranking everyday. It is better for you to spend time doing something productive.
So as a beginner, if you could spend your time focus on what is important and not wasting your time on those unnecessary things, you will get your success faster and easier.